The Visitor Training Program (VTP) is an educational program that enables talented hematologists, scientists, and/or laboratory staff from developing countries to receive training on a specific hematology topic or technique for up to 12 weeks. Training is carried out in a clinic or laboratory under the mentorship of an ASH member, and there are no geographical barriers. Training may occur anywhere in the world. The ultimate goal of the VTP is to build hematology capacity in developing countries to improve both research and patient care globally.
Read about how Dr. John Kuadzi acquired new skills and techniques through the Visitor Training Program.
- ASH will fund approved costs for travel and living expenses (applicants must submit a budget).
- By implementing the training in their home institution, awardees will have the opportunity to increase hematology capacity for themselves and their colleagues, ultimately leading to improved patient care and/or research.
- By training with an ASH member, the awardee will participate in the rigorous scientific community of ASH.
||May 2, 2014, midnight EDT
- Physicians, scientists, and hematology laboratory staff working in a hospital or a research institution in one of the countries defined as developing by ASH are welcome to apply.
- Applicants may be at any stage in their careers.
- Applicants do not need to be ASH members.
Letter of Intent
Candidates can submit a letter of intent before February 28, 2013, to request assistance in finding a potential host mentor and/or in creating a budget for their proposals.
Applications are now available for the 2014 Visitor Training Program. Download and complete the application, which includes additional program information:
2014 Visitor Training Program Application (Microsoft Word format)
2014 Visitor Training Program Application (PDF format)
- The primary focus must be on specific training in procedures that will benefit the applicant’s home institution.
- Relevant equipment and supplies must be available at the home institution.
- The VTP is intended to build capacity. Participants must implement the training at their home institution upon their return. Individual research projects will not be considered.
- Applications are reviewed by the ASH International Members Committee. Therefore, applications are not accepted from institutions where a member of the International Members Committee currently practices hematology. For a current list of institutions, contact Chase Willett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
back to top
Host Institution and Mentor
- The host institution can be located anywhere in the world.
- The host mentor may be from any country.
- The host mentor must be a current ASH member in good standing on the day the application is submitted.
Review, Selection, and Notification
The ASH International Members Committee (IMC) oversees the program and selects participants. Applicants will be notified of the IMC decision by July 15, 2013.
Participant Program Evaluations
An integral aspect of the Visitor Training Program (VTP) is measuring the degree to which participants are able to implement the training they receive at their home institutions after the completion of their VTP experience. To do this, the International Members Committee (IMC) has developed participant evaluation forms that must be completed by VTP participants 30 days and 1 year after they have concluded their training. The purpose of the evaluation forms is to:
- Measure the scope of implementation of the training received at the participant’s home institution
- Assess the impact of the program on the participant’s professional career
- Give the participant an opportunity to provide feedback on their personal experiences with the program
- Allow the participant to express any issues that have arisen since returning to his or her home institution concerning the implementation of skills and procedures learned
It is important that you inform the International Programs Coordinator when you have completed your training at the host institution. You will receive an email with a link to the evaluation forms at the appropriate intervals following your training or you may access the forms below.
30 Day Evaluation Form
Six Month Evaluation Form
Mentor Evaluation Form
If you have any questions or require any additional information regarding the ASH Visitor Training Program, please review the VTP Frequently Asked Questions or contact Chase Willett, International Programs Coordinator, at email@example.com or 202-552-4912.
back to top